Friday, June 19, 2009

Sad news....

About 1am this morning I found out that my Great Uncle Tony passed away. :o( He was 93 years old. Uncle Tony was my mother's, mother's, older brother. He was the oldest and the last of his siblings to pass away. He was a wonderful man with a great sense of humor, so much fun to be around. I knew he was sick and in the hospital but had just heard Wednesday that he was doing much better and was starting on kidney dialysis this week so I was quite surprised to get the news that he had passed away.

I have been planning a Jamroz ( my Great-Grandmother and Grandfather's name) family reunion with my cousin Kimberly. I was hoping to get the family together for once for a fun time instead of a funeral. Looks like we'll be doing yet another funeral before the reunion but the reunion is still a go. Our great grandparents used to own a farm in Richmond, MI. At least once a year our whole family, and it's a big one, would get together at the farm for a reunion. After my Great Grandmother passed away the farm was sold and we haven't had a reunion since. It's been 22 years! A lot of people have passed on since then but there are a lot of new editions to the family also who should get to know their extended family. I've planned the reunion for July 18th at Stoney Creek Metro park. We rented a pavilion and are having a caterer come out for lunch. Kimberly and I got together last week and put all the invitations together and addressed them. Joey helped us out too! We had forgotten to print out maps for all the invites so Joey got on the computer and printed them all out for us. Kids are so good with the computers! Kimberly has been busy planning all kinds of fun games for the kids, and the adults, like a scavenger hunt, egg toss, three legged race, and some other games. We'll also have soccer, volleyball and horse shoes. It will be just like the old days, just lots for new little faces who get to meet all kinds of cousins they never even knew they had! I can't wait!!!

It's been a busy day of cleaning house and the car. You can imagine that after a tough winter and very muddy soccer season the car was an awful mess. The house smells like a wet dog, which I love the smell of wet dog, but it's not what you want visitors to smell when they walk into your house! So, I've dusted and vacuumed and straightened but I'm going to need to have someone come in to clean the carpet.

Bobby had his friend Reese over today for some soccer, games, and other outdoor activities. Joey played with them also. Genesis spent the day swimming with her best friend McKenzie. Bob spent most the day cutting grass, working on his car, and working on the Teacher's Pet van.

Last night I started working on a purse. I LOVE purses and the last few times I visited my grandmother in Florida she showed me a purse that my great grandmother made for her wedding. I just love the style so I took a lot of pictures of it and went to the store for some material. Its been awhile but I finally got started on it last night! I'm so excited. I've NEVER used a sewing machine before and, obviously, never made anything like this before. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I will definitely be posting pictures soon. I'm going to try to finish it this weekend. If it turns out good I'll make a few of them. If it doesn't turn out, well, I'll just figure out what went wrong and start another one. Bob will have to show me how to use the sewing machine. I have one my mother bought me about 5 years ago but have never used it. Bob's hobby is cars and he has used it for some of the interior of his car. He's actually very good too! For Christmas I bought him a heavy duty sewing machine so he can sew things like Leather and other thick materials used for car interiors. Sometime I'll post a few of his pictures also!

Well, time to get dinner going for the family. I'm going out to dinner with a very old friend of mine tonight so I'm very excited! I haven't seen her in about 20 years!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Oh good! Sewing is SSSOOOOOOO fun! Grandma will be overjoyed to hear that you are sewing. I can't wait to see pictures.

    Wet dog smell = stinky. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Your reunion sounds like fun.

    We've been looking at older pictures a lot over at GG's house and there are some of a family reunion at Forest Lake. I only recognize immediate family, like you and Aunt Barb and the boys. I don't know who everyone else. So sad. I wish family was closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you to learn to sew! It's quite gratifying to take a straight piece of cloth and turn it into something useful. I arranged a first time ever family reunion on my mom's dad's side in 2000, did a family tree, etc. It was really nice to meet all these people I never knew existed and I liked all but one cantankerous soul. Sounds like you have cool things planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to learn to crochet too! The boys in my class crochet. The love to do it when they get angry about something. It helps them calm down and relax. They've made all kinds of things, blankets, purses, hats, it's amazing! Then they donate them to homeless shelters and nursing homes. One of these days I'll go in on a Saturday and get one of them to teach me how!

    ReplyDelete