So now I've added a third blog! Although its not just mine. I've set one up now for Teacher's Pet and all of our volunteers. I got the idea from looking at my cousin, Joanna's, blog that she has with several of her friends to share information. We've been trying to figure out a way to stay connected and trade information, ask questions, answer questions, etc. and the blog is perfect for it! So, the address for that one is www.teacherspetmi.blogspot.com if anyone is interested. I don't want to take your entire day up reading my blogs though!
Soccer is over for the season! Yay for now but after a couple weeks we'll start to miss it. Now I have to start the search for sport camps for Joey. One thing I've found over time is that physical activity is so important in keeping Joey's tics from the TS at a minimum. He gets a lot of physical activity from soccer and school but summers get rough when soccer and school are over. My cousin mentioned that there are so many mis-perceptions about Tourette Syndrome and I have to agree. People hear that my son has TS and assume he walks around screaming profanities all day. That particular tic is very rare but its what is shown on TV because they put the worst of the worst on television. The only vocal tic Joey has is humming. When the day is winding down he hums a lot. We're getting used to it and probably don't even notice it sometimes now. All of the other tics are physical, mostly facial. The most recent tic he has worries me though. He has started hitting his belly, almost like punching it. I've seen this type of tic in other children before and if it gets worse he could actually start hurting himself. We do everything we can to keep Joey off medications so I'm praying that we find a way to keeping this tic from happening to often because this type could be a deal breaker when it comes to staying off medications. Its a really tough call because do we allow him to keep hurting himself with a tic he has or give him medications that could possibly hurt him. I read recently that parents are using Fish Oil for things like ADD, ADHD, and other EI problems so I've been giving Joey Fish Oil. It can't hurt at this dose so its worth a shot to see if it helps any.
I had a Teacher's Pet meeting Tuesday evening (see my other blog for update soon!) and then a study group Wednesday with two women from Teacher's Pet. We are taking the CPDT (Certified Pet Dog Trainers) test in September and will need every opportunity we have to study for it! It's not an easy test! Right now there is no required certification for training dogs. It's terrible, you can read a book and call yourself a dog trainer! Dog Trainers are trying to make this CPDT a requirement to cut down on the so-called trainers that have no idea what they are doing. Dog Training can be a very lucrative business so lots of people are popping up all over the place saying they are a "dog trainer". Anyway, we figure we'll get certified now so if and when it is required we'll be all set! As for us (the trainers I know), business is not so lucrative, we just want to make sure people are taking care of their dogs and don't have to give them up just because of a behavioral problem so we help in anyway we can. Isn't that funny the way it works, those of us who know what we're doing don't make much money and the ones who don't know what they are doing are making all the money! I've been trying to get a business going but don't have the slightest idea how to get it going! I'm thinking now though that the Teacher's Pet program is what I should be doing anyways. It's what I'm here to do. But, some money on the side will definitely help! Maybe that other dog training job will come through soon!
I worked all day so Bob was home with the kids. Joey spent most the day at his Aunt's house swimming. Genesis and Bobby went to Home Depot with Daddy and then came home and played in the sprinklers. Bob and Bobby are watching some TV right now, Joey is putting aloe on his sunburn and Genesis is at Melissa's (my nieces) dance recital with my mom.
So, that's what we're up to for now! Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're a blog FIEND! Just kidding. Del has three blogs...I have two.
ReplyDeleteThat does sound like a terrible tic!! I think it's fantastic that you are working so hard to keep him off medications. People are so quick to medicate their kids these days.
I see what negative effects medications have on kids in my classes. One day I'll have this great kid in class, outgoing, wants to work, always asking questions and then the next day, completely different kid, sitting there practically falling asleep, not saying a word. I refuse to let that happen to Joey. I understand that in some cases you can't avoid medications but there has got to be better ways to deal with some problems. So far, we've been successful in finding those ways!
ReplyDeleteYes, I have become a blog FIEND!!! Thanks to your mother! Its so nice to "talk" like this everyday!
You are really blog nut now! But you're right, they're pretty handy and as crazy as it may sound, I often prefer to comment on blogs rather than talk on the phone. You always have to worry if it's a good time to call someone but a blog or email they can read when they want.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a balanced approach about Joey and hope you find something that will help him not hurt himself.
You know, I think it's confusing that my name is Grandma in blogdom (Del set it up)as it might be confused with your real grandma GG!
ReplyDelete