Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday....6/14/2009

This morning we had a sick child. Genesis had a stomach ache so after showering I laid in bed with her for a while. Fortunately, just before 11am she started feeling better so we packed up the kids and headed for Stoney Creek for a picnic with some families from Joey's soccer league. Bob and I drove separate cars just in case Genesis started feeling ill again I could leave with her and not worry about Bob and the boys finding a ride home. It was the perfect day for a picnic, barely a cloud in the sky and about 72 degrees! While Joey and his team mates played some soccer Genesis and Bobby played in the sand and on the swings. Bob and I enjoyed talking with all the parents. For lunch they served Chicken, fried and BBQ, potato salad and various other salads, fruit, chips, and all kinds of desserts! It was all very yummy!

Gen and Bobby enjoying the swings

Joey and some of his team mates having lunch
Joe, Pato (Joey's coach and trainer), Joey and Gregy

We left the picnic about 1:30ish. Genesis had remembered that the Octagon House was doing tours today so Genesis, Bobby, and I decided to stop in there before heading home. First a little history on the Octagon House....

In 1840 a man named Loren Andrus entered in a bet with some friends on who could construct the most unusual home. Mr Andrus decided to build a home in the shape of an Octagon. Construction on the Octagon House started in 1857 and finished in 1860. It took one whole year just to build the beautiful winding staircase! All of the materials used to build the house were acquired from the surrounding farmland, except the windows. He won the contest although I could not find out what the prize was!

Looking up the staircase

The house was on the route of the underground railroad leading to Canada. They were able to easily hide slaves in the large basement. Now I remember when I was a child going to the Octagon House and seeing names and dates carved into some of the walls in the basement but today certain areas were closed off for some reason and I wasn't able to show that to the kids. It bummed me out because I was really looking forward to seeing that again!

Just one of the pianos in the house. I love old pianos!

We really wanted to know what was behind this tiny door but weren't allowed to open it!


Between 1894 and 1945 the house sold eight times! In 1974 the house was condemned and just four days before it was scheduled to be demolished it was bought by the Hamilton family and restoration began. The house is now funded by grants and donations and they are still working on restoring a lot of the house although most of it looks wonderful!

In the basement

Tomorrow I'm going to call and see if I can get Genesis and I in for the Tea Party on the 19th. That should be a great time!

So that's all for today. Just cooking can cleaning for the rest of the day, and maybe updating the other blog....oh, and Joey has a birthday party to attend this evening at 5pm. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice too and maybe we'll hit the beach!

Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Where is this Octagon house? I never heard of it the whole 20 yrs I lived in MI! I loved the staircase! Enjoy the tea party! I'm enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete